Nothing beats cosying up with a warming relaxing drink in front of the fire when it’s cold outside. Here’s a recipe for my favourite bedtime drink.
It combines the powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits of turmeric with ashwaghanda.
Ashwaghanda is known for its ability to help our bodies deal with stress because it increases our resilience when faced with demanding situations. It also helps us to build up our strength when recovering from an illness, when you are feeling worn out after a long period of stress; or to help you deal with the demands of caring for others.
- fresh turmeric rhizome about 3cm long (you can use turmeric powder if there’s no fresh root about)
- 2 tablespoons dried ashwaghanda root
- 2-3 green cardamon pods
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of rosewater
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 cup of your chosen milk (for example, cow, goat, almond, rice, oat)
- a pinch of nutmeg
How to make your milk
- Blitz your turmeric root in a blender or nutribullet with your milk
- Give your cardamon pods a squish to release the seeds
- In a saucepan combine the turmeric milk blend with all the other ingredients except the nutmeg
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 5-minutes
- Strain into a cup and sprinkle the nutmeg on top
- Sip slowly
Want something a bit different? Try swapping the nutmeg with cinnamon or adding some honey to sweeten it up a bit.